Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tidbits

For the past few days we have been experiencing some torrential downpours. The bad news is, everything is canceled. Or is that the good news? Lazy afternoons in the guesthouse consist of rehearsing languages, reading Animal Farm, Catch-22 or something by Shakespeare, and listening to Caribbean radio as the rain trickles off the tin roof. The picture above is of Rosena, the cook, and I. Because most Americans melt in the rain, Rosena came to summon me for lunch wearing a giant sheet-cloak to shelter me en route to the kitchen. The acronym on my shirt stands for our organization: "Organization de la Force Chretien de Bayonnais".





The second picture features Mark Alcius, Eddy Saint Louis and I outside the market this morning (I am the one in the middle). Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a cowboy hat but, then again, normally I wouldn't find myself in a random Catholic church adjacent the market listening to the three hour inauguration of the new Mayor of Bayonnais (Artibonite, Haiti) spoken entirely in Creole. Mark and Eddy seem to think it is a good look on me but we'll see if it sticks when I get back to the states.



1 comment:

Vicki Jean said...

Hello Morgan,
Have been wanting to write for a while but much is going on with the packing, moving and getting my buisness affairs in order. Am so looking forward to being in Haiti with the kids at MMO. The cowboy hat looks cute. Just don't try the boots with the short pants! That's a real red-neck look when it's a tailgate chili cook-off party. Even tho I'm from Texas, that's not a good look for anyone. Trust me on that. Am aiming for the third week of April. We also had some horrendous weather here but no one came to my door with a sheet. I am back online after struggling with the power outtage and the lame email service so I will send an email soon to let you know what is happening. Keep the stories going.
God Bless, Vicki Jean